An astonishingly rare tiled hearth from
Minton & Co dated circa 1850 in blue and
white for a hob grate of full size (36"/38") or
recess 'inglenook'. Sixteen full size tiles and
eight cut tiles approximately 2" deep, approx
Such tiles are rare individually but to find
a complete hearth is a near once-in-a-lifetime
event. Prosser's patent was in effect from 1840
- 1854 when such tiles were rare, licensing the
patent added 10% to the manufacturing cost, in
any event they were beyond the means of most
people. Most hearths in those days were stone,
usually a locally quarried limestone, the
grandest may have marble, tiles were modern,
untrusted, quite scarcely used and few have
survived the challenges of more than a century
and a half.
Pattern number 54 in the Mintons catalogue
(sheet 15) indicating a very early date for its
introduction likely predating Minton's
association with Pugin. And an excellent pattern
for a hearth, given that fireplaces are most
viewed from the seated position hearths should
be quite plain for viewing decoration at a most
acurte angle can be disconcerting.
Suited for a mantelpice shelf width 60" -
66", or with one tile less (42" wide) 54" - 60",
hearths should be about mid-way across the
One tile is a replacement, we received
fifteen and slightly more than half of the full
6" x 6" tiles. The replacement is a Mintons copy
from around 1880 and blends in remarkably well.
Minton & Co's tile making business was
managed by Michael Hollins from 1840 and both
trade names Minton & Co and Minton, Hollins
& Co were used.
Versos near perfectly clean, slight cement
residue in the recesses, with embossed Minton
Wonderful condition for such a panel, hearth
tiles so with some wear and chips but none too
the larger picture.